Tuesday, 19 June 2012


Too Tired To Work Evenings


I got a call last autumn from the director of an organisation which provides counsellor training here in Dorset, UK. He offered me a course to teach, 6-9 pm, once a week, from November to July. One thing led to another, we met, and I took the work. In my mind the snag was that I usually feel exhausted and feeble in the evenings. (This wasn't part of my job interview  'things to say' list!) But I thought, well I'll just have to cut out afternoon clients that day, and have a snooze instaed.

So I turned up to work on the first night. And before the first session was done, I realised that I was not tired. And I have now taught 20 or so three-hour sessions and I can only remember being tired when I had started work before nine a.m. and had clients to see and paerwork to do right through to the start of the session that evening.

Teaching counselling is my idea of a good time, bizarrely enough. What happened here is that I took an assumption about Parkinson's Disease to be a fact about it. 'I get really tired in the evenings. I can't work in the evenings. This is because I have Parkinson's.' WRONG! I have re-discovered an activity that refutes that thinking. I have reclaimed a territory of my life from my false beliefs about the disease. I thought I had the hazardous business  of false assumptions sorted out, but I evidently need to  stay vigilant! And keep planning little adventures for myself to cut Parkinson's down to size.

A big picture view of what I report in this post can be found on Bob Kuhn's blog post  I Just Do Not Care

Especially the bits about Execrtive Functioning.  Power to Bob Kuhn for giving me this message.

1 comment:

  1. Rob, Thanks for the reference. Your post comes at a great time. I am sitting in Kuala Lumpur airport on my round the world trip. While I am having a fabulous time, I am also exhausted at the same time (new cities, food, people, languages, culture, beds as well as blogging whenever I can. I just need to keep guard to avoid the fatigue spiral. I continue to employ naps when needed, which make all the difference. Keep going Andrew and we will chart a better course than our opponent, PD, would like us to.

    ReplyDelete